Apple, Celeriac & Thyme Soup Recipe
• 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 1 celery rib, finely diced
• 1 celeriac, peeled, diced roughly
• 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
• a few sprigs of thyme, reserving some
• 750ml (3 cups) hot vegetable stock
• 250ml (generous 1 cup) almond milk
• sea salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 1 lemon, juiced
• toasted hazelnuts to finish
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Over a medium heat cook the onions and celery in a pinch of salt until softened, which should take about 5 minutes.
2. Add the celeriac, apples and leaves from a few springs of thyme and cook for 2–3 minutes. Next add the stock and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes until the celeriac is fork tender.
3. Remove from the heat, allow to cool for a few minutes to avoid burning yourself with hot splashes of soup, then pour into a jug blender or blitz with a hand blender until silky smooth. Add the almond milk, season with salt and pepper and blend again. Taste and if needs brightening add lemon juice or more flavour add a tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Return to the heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
5. To serve, spoon the soup into bowls and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, a sprinkle
of toasted chopped hazelnuts and some thyme leaves.
PER SERVING: 203kcals, 4.5g protein, 6.3g fat, (0.9g saturates), 33.6g carbs, 6.2g fibre, 15.9g sugar, 0.2g sodium
Recipe supplied by Ceri Jones. Visit her site here: www.naturalkitchenadventures.com
, 04 February 2016